Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Pease Golf Course Great Bay's Home Tournament

It was a perfect day for golf. The sun was out, a light breeze was blowing and I was extremely confident knowing that our team had a huge advantage because we playing at our home course. I played there at least three times a week this summer and knew the course so well I figured that not even my close friend Tiger could beat me today. I teed up the ball on the greenest most perfect spot and started going through my routine. I stood ten feet behind my ball and envisioned the shot I was about to take. I picked a spot in the center of the fairway to aim at and walked up to my ball. As I stood there everything went quiet. The twenty something other golfers from the different schools waited to see how the kid who recorded the chip in eagle the week before would tee-off. My backswing felt great and I began to accelerate forward to crush that ball 300 yards down the fairway. As my club face made contact with the ball I knew that something really bad was happening. I took a chunk of grass and dirt as my club slid right under the ball popping it straight up in the air. The ball landed about fifty feet away and rolled down into a ditch as I watched in disbelief. That first shot set the tone for my entire 18 holes of golf.

The tournament flew by and before I realized it we had come to the end. I had some good shots and my fair share of bad ones. Now only one hole was left, along with one last chance to show what we were made of. Each one of us stepped to the tee box and with the last little bit of energy we had left we embarked on our final challenge. My drive was struck well and went far, flying directly at the setting sun. I walked calmly alongside my new friends thinking about the next task at hand. I had my typical approach shot, about 150 yards from the green, in the rough and I had to hit over twenty foot tall evergreen. Even though it was almost dark and I could hardly see my ball I knew I had this shot down. After 17 holes of golf and with only a couple of shots left I finally found my confidence. I took no practice swings. I took a second to line up the shot and I swung away. It was perfectly hit. As it was soaring over the obstacles and floating down to the green I thought to myself:

This is what keeps me coming back to this aggravating and stressful sport. That one shot in each round that allows you to forget the last hundred bad ones.

My ball landed on the green and with two putts I recorded a par for that last hole. Just like Tiger taught me. After a tough day on the course something finally went smoothly. That's just the way it goes with golf, some days you would be better off just going fishing.

0 comments: