Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Need a Lawyer??

Business Law - BUS211. This course is required for most business students and is offered in the fall term. I am finishing up on my associates degree in accounting and was left with a few business classes, this being one of them. After taking my tax class last spring I have been toying with the idea of going to law school. I thought, "excellent... business law..what a great place to start." This class is GREAT! My professors name is Alex Yiokarinis, Esq. Alex is an adjunct faculty member. For those of you who don't know what that is, he a "teacher for hire." I am never sure what to call my professors...Professor Alex, Mr. Yiokarinis (try not to butcher that name), or Professor Yiok, Esquire?? Anyway, we call him Alex.


I get a
kick out of Googling people so here is some interesting tidbits on our professor:
1. Alex has a blog.
http://exeterlawyer.blogspot.com/ Alex is a lawyer in Exeter, NH at a firm called Taylor and Yiokarinis. The blogs opening page is a list of things to do, or not to do if you get arrested. Very informative and funny.
2. I then went over to his web-site.
http://www.exeterlawyer.com/ I learned what kind of law he practiced and where he graduated from and when. Alex has defended hundreds of clients in trials for assault, burglary, DWI, forgery, theft, murder, arson, identity fraud, robbery and other felony and misdemeanor offenses. One of the most interesting cases that Alex has been involved in is the case of Shelia LaBarre. This case made headlines this past year.
3. Alex has a Facebook page and has a profile set up on Linkd. http://www.linkedin.com/in/ayiokarinis.

Alex seems to be utilizing technology in terms of getting his name out there. He also has a more personal blog where he blogs about legal issues and new statutes and other blog sites that the average Joe or lawyer might find useful. That blog is called the Legal Pad.
http://alexlegalese.blogspot.com/.

So far this class has taught me what a tort is, the difference between criminal law and civil law, and the rules of contract law. Lots more will be discussed and I can't wait. Alex gives really interesting examples that TRULY demonstrates how our legal system works in the country, especially in NH. The class benefits by participation of everyone and definitely seems to be the class to take!!

0 comments: